We hope you are well and enjoying the touches, tastes and smells of spring (or happily running to the high country for more time in the snow).
We are doing well. We are about to finish up 4 weeks of dance residencies with Kindergarten through 6th grade students in Paonia and then are getting ready for a 2 week marimba residency with upper elementary students the following week. We’ve also been playing in the dirt on our south facing hill as well as starting a few early starts in the windows – the little kales have been looking especially happy these past few days.
We hope to see you soon – see below for a list of some fun upcoming local opportunities for live music (and a women’s drumming class series in April).
Arlyn and David
– Upcoming Events –
- Thursday March 5th at 4pm — Celebrate the Beat student dance performance at the Paonia Vo-Tech (old middle school) gym. This student show is the culmination presentation of our 3 week in and after school residency and will feature the 2nd – 6th graders at NFSIS and PES celebrating the theme of resistance and social action through dance and movement. The performance has full musical accompaniment by David Alderdice, Dylan Fixmer, Jeannette Carey and Daniel Be.
- Tuesday March 10th at 6pm — Java and Jazz at the Creamery Center for the Arts in Hotchkiss. Featuring the North Fork Valley Community and Parade Band, HHS Jazz Band, and Hotchkiss K-8 Jazz Band. Free admission. Complimentary coffee and sweet treats provided.
- Sunday March 15 at 3pm — Traditionish CD Release Party and St. Paddy’s Day Celebration, at Paonia United Brewing (P.U.B.) in Paonia – Original and traditional Irish and Irish inspired music featuring Dylan Fixmer, accompanied by David Alderdice, Mark Fitzsimmons, Sarah Off, and Lindi Merenes.
- Thursday March 26th at 6pm — NFSIS 3rd – 6th grade Marimba Residency Student Showcase at the Paonia Vo-Tech in the gym with guest appearance by the Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble
- Women’s Drumming & Rhythm Class Series with Arlyn Alderdice — 3 Thursdays in April 2, 9, 16, 2020 from 10-11:30am at the Drum Room in Hotchkiss $15 for each class or $40 for the series. Bring your drum, or use one of ours. Come as you are and experience the healing powers of rhythm through hand drumming and rhythmic practice in a fun and safe learning environment. We’ll spend time checking-in and coming into rhythm together and we’ll play. For new players as well as experienced musicians. please register by
Beauty is here
Where we stand now.
Where we always stand.
Beauty and holiness
In the tiniest of sounds and movement,
In the texture of the light.
Beauty is what I see here
When I stop looking elsewhere for it,
And become intimate with ordinary things.
It is everything; there is nothing else.
Dance in beauty until you dissolve,
Until you see your own true face everywhere.