Well, school has started and while the days are still warm, we can start feeling a touch of the cool fall winds in the air and a few of our trees are already turning colors. Hooray for sauerkraut, fresh apples, tomatoes and the late summer/early fall bounty.
We look forward to a 20 person Balinese Gamelan orchestra on September 21st as the first concert on the World Music in Paradise season. Gamelan is not something that you get to see every day here in rural Colorado and it will transport you to a different time and place. There is a workshop on Saturday September 22nd so that you can try playing Gamelan too. Please come out and support bringing World Music to the North Fork Valley. Also, please contact us if you are interested in information about sponsoring the World Music in Paradise series. Thanks to everyone who came out for Latcho Drom and made that evening a success!
These next three months are going to be very full of music and music offerings for us, please see the list below or full list here on our website. David is drumming for Celebrate the Beat at all three North Fork Valley Schools as well as in Crested Butte and Arlyn is offering a women’s drumming class in September (two spots left, details here) and a marimba class series in October. We will also be busy preparing and performing some other great concerts that we have on the books. We hope that you are doing the things that offer your gifts to the world as well as rejuvenating your spirit through doing the things that call you.
Arlyn and David
–Upcoming Concerts in order of Appearance
- NFV Community Band at Sustainable Settings, Saturday September 15th, performing as the NFV Funk Ensemble, more info here.
- David Alderdice with Celebrate the Beat in Crawford, CO, Thursday September 13th from 6-7pm. At the North Fork Montessori School at Crawford. The culmination of a three week residency.
- Gamelan Tunas Mekar at the Paradise Theatre, Friday, September, 21st 2018. 7:30pm. A 20 person Balinese orchestra with traditional dancers accompanied by bamboo flutes and hand drums. Tunas Mekar is under the direction of Balinese composer and Artist-in-Residence I Made Lasmawan. Tickets
- Gamelan Angklung Music Workshop with Gamelan Tunas Mekar – Saturday, September 22nd 10:00am at the Paradise Theatre. tickets
- David Alderdice solo set at The Salon in Carbondale, Saturday, September 22, 6:30pm – 9:30pm at The Launchpad 76 South 4th Street, Carbondale, CO, tickets: here.
- Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble at Mountain Harvest Festival. Saturday, September 29th. At the Paradise Theatre in Paonia at 8:15pm, more info and tickets.
- Classical Celtic World Fusion band, FEAST at the Mountain Harvest Festival. Saturday, September 29th. At the Paradise Theatre in Paonia at 10:15pm, more info and tickets.
- NFV Community and Parade Band at Mountain Harvest Festival. Sunday, September 30th. At the Paonia Town Park, 1:30pm – 2pm, free.
- David Alderdice with Celebrate the Beat in Crested Butte. Thursday October 4th, 6pm. Culminating a two week residency. At the Crested Butte Community School.
- David Alderdice and Friends perform as part of the Paradise Theatre’s 90th anniversary celebration. Join the sounds of David on percussion, Dylan Fixmer on mandolin, vocals & trumpet, Zack Reaves on cello, and Ben de Kock on upright bass playing live music to a 1918 silent Charlie Chaplin film. Plus a fun second set of eclectic acoustic music. October 5th 7:30pm. tickets
- Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble on the Western Slope Concert Series with matinée performances at the Montrose Pavilion on Nov. 10th and in Grand Junction on Nov. 11th. more info: here.
–Women’s Rhythm and Drumming Class Series with Arlyn Alderdice
Wednesdays 9:30am-11am, September 12, 19, 26, and October 3. $35 for the four weeks. Two spaces left. Contact Arlyn to register. Open to beginner and experienced drummers, this will be a great way to deepen your relationship to rhythm and music and empower yourself to play.
–Marimba Class Series with Arlyn Alderdice for teens and adults
3 Saturdays from 10:30am – noon: October 20, 27 and November 3, 2018
$40 for the three week series. Please pre-register, open to beginner players as well as continuing students.
Playing marimba is a great way to keep your brain fresh and active. All instruments provided. Experience the joy of making music in ensemble with our 4.5 octave beautiful wooden instruments in a safe and gentle environment. Address provided upon registration: 872-4238 or contact
–Full World Music in Paradise Concert Season Info
David Alderdice is excited to be producing four world-class World Music concerts for the World Music in Paradise concert series at the Paradise Theatre in Paonia for the 2018-19 season. The series also features many in-school music outreach programs at the local schools with support from The Learning Council and Arts for All. There will also be educational music workshops offered by the world musicians while in town. Tickets for all concerts: $20 advance, $25 door, $15 students. 970-527-6610, Paradise Theatre.
Gamelan Tunas Mekar on Friday, September, 21st 2018. 7:30pm A 20 person Balinese orchestra with traditional dancers accompanied by bamboo flutes and hand drums. Tunas Mekar is under the direction of Balinese composer and Artist-in-Residence I Made Lasmawan. tickets
Goran Ivonavic & Fareed Haque on Friday, October, 19th 2018. 7:30pm International guitar duo. Inspired by the rhythms and melodies of flamenco, jazz, classical, rock and the Balkan region, this performance features the unrivaled guitar artistry of two of the finest players of their respective generations. Their music is carefully balanced between blazing virtuosity and sheer beauty. tickets
Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble on Saturday, December 15th 2018. 7:30pm. CD release party. The Embodying Rhythm Marimba Project Ensemble plays fun, groovy, polyphonic music perfect for movement on the dance floor as well as relaxing journeys of the ear and soul. The funky 8-piece marimba ensemble will be joined by the sounds of trumpet, mandolin, flute, melodica, percussion, drumset, cajon, steelpan, glockenspiel, trombone, saxophone, and voices. tickets
Breaking Winds Bassoon Quartet on Saturday, January 12th 2019. 7:30pm This artist-run creative project disregards genre with favorites from the worlds of classical, pop, jazz, soundtrack, world, and folk music adapted for the ensemble by its members. Known for their stage antics, this all-female quartet is definitely worth checking out. tickets
Gamelan Angklung Music Workshop with Gamelan Tunas Mekar – Saturday, September 22nd 10:00am at the Paradise Theatre. Learn to play music on a traditional set of Balinese Gamelan Angklung from Balinese instructor and artist in residence, I Made Lasmawan and his students. Gamelan Angklung are tuned metal gongs and metelophones that you strike with a little wooden mallet. No experience necessary, all instruments provided. Ages 10 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Students (under 18) $5 / Adults $15
Guitar Masterclass Workshop with Goran Ivanovic and Fareed Haque – Friday, October 19th 5:00pm at the Paradise Theatre. These two amazing world renowned acoustic guitar players will be giving an in-depth masterclass inspiring attendees with rhythms, melodies, techniques and ideas stemming from the flamenco, jazz, rock, and Balkan musical traditions. Feel free to bring a notebook and your guitar or instrument. Ages 13 through adult. Students (under 18) $15 / Adults $30
Marimba Ensemble Workshop with David Alderdice – Sunday, December 16th 10:00am at the Paradise Theatre. Come and experience the feeling of making wonderful sounds and musical vibrations with beautiful wooden tuned percussion instruments traditional to Zimbabwe. We will explore rhythm, groove, poly-rhythms, ensemble part playing and other aspects of music in a fun a safe group setting. No experience necessary, all instruments provided. Ages 9 through adult. Students (under 18) $10 / Adults $20
Zimbabwean Music – There will also be 2 more add-on workshops offered on October 23rd 2018 at a private residence in Paonia. One of our teachers, Musekiwa Chingodza, will be traveling through Colorado from Zimbabwe and will be offering a Zimbabwean Mbira (traditional thumb piano) Workshop 4:30pm, Zimbabwean Song Workshop 5:30pm, as well as a house concert at 7pm. More info.
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
For a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about your despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting —
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.