We hope you are well. We have February planned with some great concerts and some fun marimba classes for both adults and youth. A great way to ease the oh-my-what-is-going-on-with-wintertime blues.
In addition to the concerts and marimba classes that begin this month, David will also begin a 5 week rhythm residency at the North Fork School of Integrated Studies working with the K-6 students.
We have a save the date for you – Marimba Summercamp, July 15-20, 2018 a sleep-away camp outside Crawford, CO. We’ll have the full details by our next newsletter.
With our Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble, we spent the last week at the recording studio, it’s a very revealing process and exciting to be taking the music we’ve been working on to the next level. We’ll have something to share soon.
This month, Arts4All and The Learning Council in collaboration with the Blue Sage is bringing Uxia and Sergio into Paonia Elementary School to meet with the full student body plus some high schoolers. Last month, the musicians from the Silk Road concert were able to visit Hotchkiss seventh and eighth grade music students in addition to visiting the Paonia Elementary School. Here is a clip of them playing: https://youtu.be/R8nYZaG5keQ
We hope to see you soon.
Arlyn & David
- David Alderdice with FEAST, Funky Classical Celtic World Fusion. Filip Lazovski – Violin, Andrew Krimm – Viola, Zachary Reaves – Cello, Benjamin DeKock – Acoustic & Electric Bass, Catie Mientka – Grand Piano, David Alderdice – Drum Set & Percussion. FEAST plays mainly Celtic-inspired music with their own original twist, using a mix of classical, traditional, and modern techniques. Classically trained strings and piano play beautiful soaring traditional melodies on top of a rockin’ backdrop of funky worldbeat drum set and bass grooves. A feast for the ears.
—Paonia, CO at the Paradise Theatre February 9, 2018 | 7:30 pm paradiseofpaonia.com
—Grand Junction, CO at the Unitarian Universalists Church February 10, 2018 | 7:30 – 9:30 pm. more info. tickets: junctionconcerts.tix.com/Event.aspx?EventCode=1013657
—Montrose, CO at the Montrose Pavilion February 11, 2018 | 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm more info. tickets: junctionconcerts.tix.com/Event.aspx?EventCode=1013658
- World Music: Galician Folk with Uxia Senlle in Paonia, CO on Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:30 pm. Uxía Senlle (vocals), Sergio Tannus (guitar/vocals). Iconic vocalist Uxía Senlle is one of the most respected and influential musicians from Galicia, Spain and regarded as the grande dame of Galician music. Her songs have the presence of traditional folk music but with a personal flair. Uxia is joined by Brazilian multi-instrumentalist Sergio Tannus. a video tickets: 527-7243 or online
- Beginning Marimba Classes for Adults with Arlyn Alderdice, 3 Sundays — Feburary 18, 25, & March 4. 1pm – 2pm. $27 for the three week series. Please pre-register. Relieve stress while enhancing your coordination, listening, and concentration. No prior musical experience necessary, all instruments provided. Experience the joy of making music in ensemble with our 4.5 octave beautiful wooden instruments in a safe and gentle environment. Address provided upon registration.
- Intermediate Marimba Classes for Adults with Arlyn Alderdice, 3 Sundays — February 18, 25, & March 4. 2pm – 3pm. $27 for the three week series. Please pre-register.
- Intermediate Marimba Classes for Youth with David Alderdice 7 Wednesdays — February 28th through April 11th. Please pre-register 872-4238. $85.
- Ongoing – NFV Community and Parade Band Rehearsal – Monday nights, 6-7:30pm at the HHS band room. If you’ve been thinking community band might be fun, this is a great time to join rehearsals! Community Band is a fun way to learn and play music with friendly musical members of the NFV. Members are welcome from the surrounding areas of the NFV as well. more info
“We don’t make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”
― Bob Ross
“Menders [wisdom keepers] of all times and places have taught that silencing the thoughts in our heads and opening to the experience of the body and emotions is the basis of all healing. It’s the only means by which we can reclaim our true nature or feel the subtle cues telling us how to find our way through life.”
― Martha N. Beck