We hope you are having a great summer.
We have a final marimba concert of the season this Tuesday, July 11th at the Paonia Library beginning with our summercamp students at 6:30pm followed by two sets from the Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble. It’s a really fun repertoire and we’ll have some horns joining us and it will be lots of fun for the whole family!
Also, we wanted to let you know that the information for the 2017-2018 Blue Sage Concert Series artist line-up has been announced. We’re excited for the season, both the World Music concerts as well as the Classical, and now is a great time to pick out seats for the season and save some money by buying season tickets: www.bluesage.org or call 970-527-7243 or stop by the Blue Sage. See below for the World Music listings.
As far as classes go, we’re taking a bit of a break for the end of summer and will start up youth and adult marimba classes again in September, we’ll keep you posted.
See you soon.
Arlyn & David
–> UPCOMING EVENTS <–
- Tuesday, July 11, 2017 6:30 pm at the Paonia Library — The Embodying Rhythm Marimba Project, founded and directed by David and Arlyn Alderdice will feature both their professional Embodying Rhythm Marimba Project Ensemble as well as their Summercamp Student Marimba Ensemble. Both groups will be playing funky polyphonic marimba music from Africa and the Americas, as well some new original compositions. Our marimba ensembles consist of 1 soprano, 2 altos, 2 tenors, a baritone, and a (really big) bass marimba, providing a four and a half octave range which is often accompanied by tasty percussion, drumset, flute, melodica, brass horns, and singing voices. www.embodyingrhythm.
com/marimba Great fun for the whole family!!!
- Listen to Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble Talking Music interview from June 23, 2017
Blue Sage World Music Concert Series 2017-2018 series announced. More information and tickets: www.bluesage.org
- World Music: Jayme Stone’s Folklife in Paonia, CO on Sunday, October 22, 2017 5:00 pm at the Paradise Theatre
- World Music: The Silk Road with David Alderdice & Marcin Arendt in Paonia, CO on Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:30 pm
- World Music: Galician Folk with Uxia Senlle in Paonia, CO on Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:30 pm
“The More You Listen,” an excerpt from The Listening Book: Discovering Your Own Music by W. A. Mathieu
You can no more hear all the vibrations in a sonata than we can see all the radiation from the stars. There is an effulgence, a surfeit in the world. We will never hear it all, even if we invent a hundred new ways to listen and bring all the dark into the light. There will always be more. Waves make waves and draw our senses in beyond limit.
It was a great day when I discovered that there is more in the air than I had ever heard before, or could ever hear. I remember the amazement in realizing “the more you listen, the more you hear,” the delight in registering sounds that had always been present, the ecstasy in knowing that this is a lifelong experience, infinitely expandable, basically musical. I spoke wildly to my friends. I began inventing exercises and games to trick people into hearing more so I could experience the freshness of their wonder. I never stopped doing it. I’m doing it now.