We hope that you are enjoying some fresh veggies and fruit during this season of natural abundance! And we hope you are enjoying some natural beauty as well.
We are pleased to be announcing the 2018-19 World Music in Paradise season and we hope that you will support this new series that David is producing, as we are really excited about the line-up and feel that these are some world-class offerings. See below for the concerts. As a kick-off for the series, there will be a screening of the iconic film Latcho Drom, a visual music documentary of the Romany people musical journey from India through the Silk Road to Spain. This film event will be on Monday August 27th and will be a fundraiser for the new concert series. All the musicians coming through town for these concerts will be doing in-school music outreach as well as some educational workshops. Please contact us if you are interested in information about sponsoring the series.
Hooray! Our Marimba, Rhythm, and Music Summercamp had a successful first run. Thanks again to everyone who made it possible, including all our campers. We’ll let you know as soon as we can about next season’s camp so that you can get it on the calendar. To hear a taste of what we worked on in camp, join us at Farm to Fiddle on Saturday August 11th at Hotchkiss Town Park at 3:30pm. The Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble will play at 4pm.
Arlyn and David
–Farm to Fiddle – August 10th and 11th at the Creamery in Hotchkiss
- NFV Community and Parade Band – Friday, 1pm to 1:50pm
- Embodying Rhythm 2018 Summercamp Band – Saturday, 3:30-4pm.
- Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble – Saturday, 4-5pm
–Pretty Gritty in Colorado with David Alderdice
- Wright Opera House, 460 Main St Ouray, CO 81427. Friday, August 17th at 7:30pm – Purchase Tickets
- Paradise Theatre, Paonia, CO. Saturday, August 18th at 7:30pm – with opener Moth to Moonlight. David will be playing with both bands. – Tickets available at the Cirque Cyclery, Lizzy’s Market, the Paradise Box Office and online
–Summer Solace with Craig Childs and Friends (including David Alderdice)
Set upon a backdrop of dazzling and haunting natural images and accompanied by a troupe of talented musicians, storyteller Craig Childs takes us to wild places: in the landscape and points beyond.
- Leadville at the Tabor Opera House on Friday, August 24th -8pm – more info and tickets
–Upcoming Women’s Rhythm and Drumming Class Series with Arlyn Alderdice
- Wednesdays 9:30am-11am, September 12, 19, 26, and October 3. Come as you are. We’ll spend time checking-in and coming into rhythm together and we’ll play. Bring your instruments or use ours. $35 for the four week series at our teaching studio. Please register by September 4th – minimum enrollment 4, maximum 10. This group is open to women and girls ages 12 and up. Contact for registration and directions.
–World Music in Paradise Concert Season
David Alderdice is excited to be producing four world-class World Music concerts for the World Music in Paradise concert series at the Paradise Theatre in Paonia for the 2018-19 season. The series also features many in-school music outreach programs at the local schools with support from The Learning Council and Arts for All. There will also be a few educational music workshops offered by the world musicians while in town. Tickets for all concerts: $20 advance, $25 door. 970-527-6610, Paradise Theatre.
- Latcho Drom documentary screening fundraiser on Monday, August 27th, 2018. 7:00pm. $10 donation. The journey of the Romany people told through musicians and dancers of India, Egypt, Turkey, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, France, and Spain. Co-sponsored by The Learning Council.
Gamelan Tunas Mekar on Friday, September, 21st 2018. 7:30pm Large Balinese orchestra with traditional dancers. Based in Denver, Colorado, USA, Gamelan Tunas Mekar is a large community orchestra under the direction of Balinese composer and Artist-in-Residence I Made Lasmawan.
Goran Ivonavic & Fareed Haque on Friday, October, 19th 2018. 7:30pm International guitar duo. Inspired by the rhythms and melodies of flamenco, jazz, classical, rock and the Balkan region, this performance features the unrivaled guitar artistry of two of the finest players of their respective generations. Their music is carefully balanced between blazing virtuosity and sheer beauty.
The Embodying Rhythm Marimba Project Ensemble plays fun, groovy, polyphonic music perfect for movement on the dance floor as well as relaxing journeys of the ear and soul. The funky 8-piece marimba ensemble will be joined by the sounds of trumpet, mandolin, flute, melodica, percussion, drumset, cajon, steelpan, glockenspiel, trombone, saxophone, and voices.
This artist-run creative project disregards genre with favorites from the worlds of classical, pop, jazz, soundtrack, world, and folk music adapted for the ensemble by its members. Known for their stage antics, this all-female quartet is definitely worth checking out.
“This love is actually part of you; it is always flowing through you. It’s like the subatomic texture of the universe, the dark matter that connects everything. When you tune in to that flow, you will feel it in your own heart—not your physical heart or your emotional heart, but your spiritual heart, the place you point to in your chest when you say, “I am.” ― Ram Dass,