We hope that you are doing well. We notice some relief with some snow and the solstice bringing us back more daylight. We hope you are doing well and also keeping your hearts tended.
We are deep in visioning for 2018 and looking forward to some great classes, fabulous performances, recording a marimba ensemble album, neat-o summercamps, in-school musical enrichment programs, as well as the possibility of marimba Christmas concerts for next winter. We’ll start January 2018 with marimba class series and a performance with some great musicians as part of the Blue Sage Concert Series with Marcin Arendt and friends.
Happy New Year,
Arlyn and David
- Beginning Marimba Classes for Adults and Teens with Arlyn Alderdice, 3 Sundays in January 2018 — January 7, 14, & 21. 1pm – 2pm. $27 for the three week series. Some scholarships available. Please pre-register. Playing marimba is a great way to keep your brain fresh and active and increase your hand-eye coordination. No prior musical experience necessary, all instruments provided. Experience the joy of making music in ensemble with our 4.5 octave beautiful wooden instruments in a safe and gentle environment. Address provided upon registration.
- Intermediate Marimba Classes for Adults and Teens with Arlyn Alderdice for teens and adults 3 Sundays in January 2018 — January 7, 14, & 21. 2pm – 3pm. $27 for the three week series. Some scholarships available. Please pre-register.
- Ongoing – NFV Community and Parade Band Rehearsal – Resumes January 8th, 2018 – Monday nights, 6-7:30pm at the HHS band room. If you’ve been thinking community band might be fun, this is a great time to join rehearsals! Community Band is a fun way to learn and play music with friendly musical members of the NFV. Members are welcome from the surrounding areas of the NFV as well. more info
- Youth Music Program at Grand Junction Library with CyberStrong — Youth will be educated and engaged by Embodying Rhythm’s David and Arlyn Alderdice while parents participate in CyberStrong. CyberStrong Mesa County, a series of programs to help families enjoy the Internet and social media while being resilient to their negative effects, will happen from 6-7:30 p.m. Location: Central Library, Register: mesacountylibraries.libcal.com/event/3707989
- World Music: The Silk Road with David Alderdice, Marcin Arendt & friends in Paonia, CO on Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:30 pm with Marcin Arendt (violin), Kimberly Patterson (cello), Benjamin DeKock (double bass), David Alderdice (percussion). The first set will explore the traditional, classical, and progressive sounds of Eastern European music. The second set will explore the living musical heritage of the Silk Road, which allows us to feel a link to thousands of years of trade and exchange among the peoples from the shores of the Mediterranean to the shores of the Pacific. tickets: 527-7243 or online
They also will be taking their love of this music to the student bodies at Paonia Elementary School as well as the music students at the Hotchkiss K8. They will also be providing a masterclass workshop for the Valley Youth Orchestra on the morning of Saturday, January 27th. This masterclass workshop is open to the public and will focus mainly on string techniques and how to play together with other musicians in small ensembles and chamber groups.
- David Alderdice with FEAST, Funky Classical Celtic World Fusion. Filip Lazovski – Violin, Andrew Krimm – Viola, Zachary Reaves – Cello, Benjamen de Kock – Acoustic & Electric Bass, Catie Mientka – Electric Piano, David Alderdice – Drum Set & Percussion. FEAST plays mainly Celtic-inspired music with their own original twist, using a mix of classical, traditional, and modern techniques. Classically trained strings and keyboard play beautiful soaring traditional melodies on top of a rockin’ backdrop of funky worldbeat drum set and bass grooves. A feast for the ears.
—Paonia, CO at the Paradise Theatre February 9, 2018 | 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm. paradiseofpaonia.com
—Grand Junction, CO at the Unitarian Universalists Church February 10, 2018 | 7:30 – 9:30 pm. more info. tickets: junctionconcerts.tix.com/Event.aspx?EventCode=1013657
—Montrose, CO at the Montrose Pavilion February 11, 2018 | 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm more info. tickets: junctionconcerts.tix.com/Event.aspx?EventCode=1013658
- World Music: Galician Folk with Uxia Senlle in Paonia, CO on Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:30 pm. Uxía Senlle (vocals), Sergio Tannus (guitar/vocals). Iconic vocalist Uxía Senlle is one of the most respected and influential musicians from Galicia, Spain and regarded as the grande dame of Galician music. Her songs have the presence of traditional folk music but with a personal flair. Uxia is joined by Brazilian multi-instrumentalist Sergio Tannus. 527-7243 or online
a poem best read while thinking of a loved one (including yourself):
THIS CLAY JUG by Kabir
Inside this clay jug there are canyons
and pine mountains, and the maker of
canyons and pine mountains!
All seven oceans are inside, and
hundreds of millions of stars.
The acid that tests gold is there, and
the one who judges jewels.
And the music from the strings
no one touches, and the source of
If you want the truth, I will tell you
the God whom I love is inside.