The school year is coming to a close which has more immediate relevance for some of us than others, but still marks a season.
We are excited to tend the garden as well as doing some camping this summer and to turn the alarm clock off. The five year old is excited to go to bed with the dark instead of needing to be asleep before the dark.
We’ve got a new marimba class series, Mondays in June, that is filling quickly as well as some other great musical offerings, check out the full list below.
Arlyn & David
- NFV Community & Parade Band at the NF Community Fair at Town Park in Paonia, CO. 2:20pm, May 18th, 2019. Full schedule:
- Hotchkiss K-8 Music Department Performance. 6pm, May 20th, 2019, at the Hotchkiss K8. David Alderdice has been working with the 7th & 8th grade percussionists on a three-movement percussion feature piece called Animals.
- Marimba – Mondays in June with David & Arlyn Alderdice June 3, 10, 17 & 24 from 2-4:30pm $25 for single drop-in class. $80 for the four-week series. $120 for child-parent duo. Please pre-register by replying to this email or by calling 872-4238, this class is filling fast!
- NFV Community & Parade Band will be on parade in the 41st Annual Crawford Pioneer Days Parade in Crawford, CO, June 8, 2019, parade starts at 10am.
- Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble & North Fork Valley Community & Parade Band at Rural Philanthropy Days at Town Park in Paonia, CO, 6pm, June 13, 2019.
- Grand Valley Library Outreach with David Alderdice, Dylan Fixmer and Daniel B, a free and fun interactive music experience for kids of all ages.
06/11/19 10am Palisade Library
06/12/19 10:30am Fruita Library
06/12/19 02:30p Clifton Library
06/13/19 1:00pm Gateway Library
06/14/19 11:00am De Beque Library
- Embodying Rhythm Quartet at the Chapel of the Cross in Cedaredge, CO. June 19, 2019. 7pm. more info A free one-hour concert with Arlyn Alderdice, David Alderdice, Daniel B, and Dylan Fixmer, playing music from around the world.
- Kids Pasta Project dinner in support of the World Music in Paradise Concert Series and In-school Outreach Program. Dinner, music, silent auction, community, and the unveiling of the 2019-2020 World Music schedule and artists. Edesia Warehouse in Paonia, CO, Monday, June 24, 2019. reservations
- Arlyn Alderdice on the music team with Melissa Michael’s Shakti Sisterhood in Boulder, CO. July 12-13, 2019 more info
- David Alderdice with Craig Childs Writing & Drumming Workshop in Norwood, CO August 23-24, 2019 (Lodging & camping available nearby) 10 spots available. Was a super fun time last year. Registration requests: millionmilesawaynorwood (at) gmail . com
Arlyn just finished reading “Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone” by Brené Brown, and she (Arlyn) highly recommends it, especially if you ever feel alone in your beliefs & views or ever feel out of place. See link for more of Brown’s work and you can check out her wildly popular Ted talks on youtube.
“The opposite of true belonging is “fitting in”. . . Belonging is belonging to yourself first. Speaking your truth, telling your story and never betraying yourself for other people. True belonging doesn’t require you to change who you are, it requires you to be who you are. And that’s vulnerable.” -Brené Brown