We hope that you are doing well. Life here has been full – David spent the month of September in Crested Butte M-F working with Celebrate the Beat and in Carbondale gigging on the weekends and Arlyn and the not-quite-so-little one found creative ways to keep everything running at the homestead.
We’ve got a lot of great events coming up in October, please check out the list below for class and concert information including the first concert on the Blue Sage World Music Concert Series October 22nd.
Arlyn and David
– UPCOMING EVENTS –
Live Music in October
- Wednesday, October 4th – Marimba Project live at The Learning Council’s fundraiser feast. The Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble as well as Ritmo de Madera will play while you dine. 5:30-8pm. More information and to reserve your locally sourced African inspired 5 course meal: thelearningcouncil.org/project/harvest-moon-dinner/
- Thursday, October 5th – David Alderdice with Celebrate the Beat in Crested Butte, CO. 6pm at the Crested Butte Community School. more info
- Saturday, October 7th – Joe Smith (aka Sticky Mulligan) with David Alderdice and Daniel B at Cohere Festival in Paonia, CO. 4pm. more info
- Sunday, October 22 – World Music: Jayme Stone’s Folklife in Paonia, CO 5:00 pm at the Paradise Theatre with Jayme Stone (banjo, voice), Moira Smiley (voice, accordion), Sumaia Jackson (fiddle, voice), & Joe Phillips (bass, voice). Sea island spirituals, Creole calypsos and stomp-down Appalachian dance tunes. Check out this video and then reserve your ticket: https://youtu.be/38GaKRsXwuU
- Marimba Classes with Arlyn Alderdice for adults and teens — 1.5 hour classes: Saturdays October 7th, 14th, and 21st from 10:30-noon. Geared for beginners as well as continuing students – a safe place to explore and learn together on incredibly lovely instruments. $5-15 sliding scale. 872-4238 to register. more info
- Intermediate Youth Marimba Classes with David Alderdice — 1.25 hour classes: Wednesday afternoons starting Oct. 18th through November 8th from 3:45pm – 5:00pm. Geared for continuing students 6th through 12th grade. $50 for the four week series. 872-4238 to register. more info
- Beginning Youth Marimba Classes with David Alderdice — 1.25 hour classes: Thursday afternoons starting Oct. 19 through November 9th from 3:45pm – 5:00pm. Geared for youth 3rd through 8th grade. $50 for the four week series. 872-4238 to register. more info
- Rhythm Study Series for Continuing Students with David Alderdice – Thursdays: October 19, 26 & November 2, 9, 2017. 6:30 – 7:30pm class, 7:30-8:00pm music making session. This class series will focus on deepening our relationship with rhythm through the practice of solkattu, percussive shakers, & possibly some hand drums. Geared for intermediate and advanced players, or highly over-achieving beginners with patience and a large capacity for applying new material. Please RSVP 872-4238 more info
- The NFV Community and Parade Band Rehearsals resume on Monday, October 16th, 2017. If you’ve been thinking community band might be fun, this is a great time to join rehearsals! It’s a fun way to learn and play music with friendly musical members of the NFV. Members are welcome from the surrounding areas of the NFV as well. more info
Blue Sage World Music Concert Series 2017-2018 series.
More information and tickets: www.bluesage.org
- World Music: Jayme Stone’s Folklife in Paonia, CO on Sunday, October 22, 2017 5:00 pm at the Paradise Theatre with Jayme Stone (banjo, voice), Moira Smiley (voice, accordion), Sumaia Jackson (fiddle, voice), & Joe Phillips (bass, voice). Sea island spirituals, Creole calypsos and stomp-down Appalachian dance tunes. Check out this video and then reserve your ticket: https://youtu.be/38GaKRsXwuU
- World Music: The Silk Road with David Alderdice & Marci n Arendt in Paonia, CO on Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:30 pm with Marcin Arendt (violin), Kimberly Patterson (cello), Benjamin DeKock (double bass), David Alderdice (percussion). The living musical heritage of the Silk Road allows us to feel a link to thousands of years of trade and exchange among the peoples from the shores of the Mediterranean to the shores of the Pacific.
- World Music: Galician Folk with Uxia Senlle in Paonia, CO on Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:30 pm. Uxía Senlle (vocals), Sergio Tannus (guitar/vocals). Iconic vocalist Uxía Senlle is one of the most respected and influential musicians from Galicia, Spain and regarded as the grande dame of Galician music. Her songs have the presence of traditional folk music but with a personal flair. Uxia is joined by Brazilian multi-instrumentalist Sergio Tannus.
“When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.” ― Rumi
And a video from our June Marimba concert at the Paradise Theatre that we thought you might enjoy: youtu.be/7TtzEJcIo8E Afro Blue written by Mongo Santamaria.