We hope you are well. It’s been a whirlwind couple of weeks for us, with a lot of really neat musical and educational experiences.
We hope to see you soon.
To help Embodying Rhythm and the World Music in Paradise better know you, we made a quick survey/feedback form about the Gamelan performances. If you attended either the workshop, the concert, or one of the school outreach events please feel free to take a moment to give us your feedback. here.
Arlyn and David
- Marimba Class with Arlyn Alderdice for teens and adults. Saturdays October 20, 27, and November 3, 2018. 10:30am to noon. Playing marimba is a great way to keep your brain fresh and active. All instruments provided. Experience the joy of making music in ensemble in a safe and gentle environment. open to beginners as well as continuing students. $40 for the three week series. Please pre-register by contacting Arlyn: 872-4238 or via our website.
–Upcoming Concerts in order of Appearance
- David Alderdice with Celebrate the Beat in Crested Butte. Thursday October 4th, 6pm. Culminating a two week residency at the Crested Butte Community School.
- David Alderdice and Friends perform as part of the Paradise Theatre’s 90th anniversary celebration. Join the sounds of David on percussion, Dylan Fixmer on mandolin, vocals, & trumpet, Zack Reaves on cello, and Ben de Kock on upright bass playing live music to a 1918 silent Charlie Chaplin film. Plus a fun second set of eclectic acoustic music. October 5th, 7:30pm. tickets
- Guitar Masterclass Workshop with Goran Ivanovic and Fareed Haque – Friday, October 19th 5:00pm at the Paradise Theatre. These two amazing world renowned acoustic guitar players will be giving an in-depth masterclass inspiring attendees with rhythms, melodies, techniques and ideas stemming from the flamenco, jazz, rock, and Balkan musical traditions. Feel free to bring a notebook and your guitar or instrument. Ages 13 through adult. Students (under 18) $15 / Adults $30
- World Music ~ Goran Ivonavic & Fareed Haque on Friday, October, 19th 2018. 7:30pm International guitar duo. Inspired by the rhythms and melodies of flamenco, jazz, classical, rock and the Balkan region, this performance features the unrivaled guitar artistry of two of the finest players of their respective generations. Their music is carefully balanced between blazing virtuosity and sheer beauty. tickets
- World Music Add-On ~ Zimbabwean Music – October 23rd 2018 at a private residence in Paonia. One of our teachers, Musekiwa Chingodza, will be traveling through Colorado from Zimbabwe and will be offering a Zimbabwean Mbira (traditional thumb piano) Workshop 4:30pm, Zimbabwean Song Workshop 5:30pm, as well as a house concert at 7pm. More info.
- David Alderdice with Celebrate the Beat in Hotchkiss, CO, Friday October 26th from 6-7pm. At the Hotchkiss K-8. The culmination of a two week residency.
- Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble on the Western Slope Concert Series with matinée performance in Grand Junction at 3pm on Nov. 10th. more info: here.
- Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble on the Western Slope Concert Series with matinée performance at 3pm at the Montrose Pavilion on Nov. 11th. more info: here.
- David Alderdice with Celebrate the Beat in Paonia, CO, Friday November 16th from 6-7pm. At Paonia Elementary School. The culmination of a two week residency.
- World Music ~ Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble on Saturday, December 15th 2018. 7:30pm. CD release party. The Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble plays fun, groovy, polyphonic music perfect for movement on the dance floor as well as relaxing journeys of the ear and soul. The funky 8-piece marimba ensemble will be joined by the sounds of trumpet, mandolin, flute, melodica, percussion, drumset, cajon, steelpan, glockenspiel, trombone, saxophone, and voices. tickets
- Marimba Ensemble Workshop with David Alderdice – Sunday, December 16th 10:00am at the Paradise Theatre. Come and experience the feeling of making wonderful sounds and musical vibrations with beautiful wooden tuned percussion instruments traditional to Zimbabwe. We will explore rhythm, groove, poly-rhythms, ensemble part playing and other aspects of music in a fun a safe group setting. No experience necessary, all instruments provided. Ages 9 through adult. Students (under 18) $10 / Adults $20
- World Music ~ Breaking Winds Bassoon Quartet on Saturday, January 12th 2019. 7:30pm This artist-run creative project disregards genre with favorites from the worlds of classical, pop, jazz, soundtrack, world, and folk music adapted for the ensemble by its members. Known for their stage antics, this all-female quartet is definitely worth checking out. tickets
“Space to Create” survey for all artists/creatives and supporters of Paonia’s creative community
Help advance plans for a new, creative space facility in Paonia, CO by taking this survey. We think that a dedicated performing arts space would be great for the area and you can write that into the survey if you think so too, and tell them what other kinds of creative spaces you’d like to see.