Thank you for your interest in music and rhythm and embodiment. Thank you for bringing your hearts to the world.
In times like these, it can sometimes be tricker than usual to stay in our clear brilliance as humans. May we all choose to spend the time to cultivate the practices, relationships, and choices that help us stay centered and by default make this world a better place.
Music is a powerful ally. If you happen to feel a calling, to your inner self through music, rhythm and community – either through playing and learning music, or though experiencing healing musical vibrations as an audience member, then please scroll down and check out our calendar to see the various musical opportunities we are offering this fall and early winter. If you have a certain class or musical scenario that you’d love to see us offer, please feel free let us know.
We are learning to appreciate and embrace the technological aspects of the world around us, especially in terms of music education, so David is now offering on-line, video chat lessons and will be accepting a few new students that way. Please contact us for more information.
This Sunday, October 22nd, kicks off the new season of the Blue Sage World Music Concert Series with Jamie Stone’s Folklife ensemble, a fun, international touring act. We have to say that a big part of why we’re excited about the evening is accordion player, vocalist, and body percussionist Moira Smiley. Preview the band here: https://youtu.be/38GaKRsXwuU
Arlyn & David
- Saturdays, October 21 & 28, 10:30-noon. Marimba Classes for Adults and Teens $5-15 sliding scale. Please RSVP for location and to help me plan for the class. Open to beginners. A great way to deepen your relationship with music. These are my last beginner classes for the season, so please jump on in if you’d like to check it out.
- Sunday, November 5, 1-4pm. Marimba Workshop with David Alderdice “It’s All About the Groove and Time-Feel” Keeping it fun and funky in 4/4. $25 (some scholarships available) Please RSVP for location and to help us plan for the workshop. for ages 10 through adult, some musical experience required. Please be in touch if you’re wondering if the workshop would be a fit for you or your youth.
- Sunday, December 10, 1-4pm. Marimba Workshop with David Alderdice “The Magic Power of Rhythms Based in 12” Polyrhythms and engaging the 6/8, 12/8,3/4, & 4/4 (with triplets) time-feels. $25 (some scholarships available) Please RSVP for location and to help us plan for the workshop. Designed for intermediate or advanced beginner marimba students but open to all musicians.
- Monday nights, 6-7:30pm. NFV Community and Parade Band Rehearsal. At the HHS band room. If you’ve been thinking community band might be fun, this is a great time to join rehearsals! It’s a fun way to learn and play music with friendly musical members of the NFV. Members are welcome from the surrounding areas of the NFV as well. more info
Blue Sage World Music Concert Series 2017-2018 series
More information and tickets: www.bluesage.org
- World Music: Jayme Stone’s Folklife in Paonia, CO on Sunday, October 22, 2017 5:00 pm at the Paradise Theatre with Jayme Stone (banjo, voice), Moira Smiley (voice, accordion), Sumaia Jackson (fiddle, voice), & Joe Phillips (bass, voice). Sea island spirituals, Creole calypsos and stomp-down Appalachian dance tunes.
- World Music: The Silk Road with David Alderdice & Marcin Arendt in Paonia, CO on Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:30 pm with Marcin Arendt (violin), Kimberly Patterson (cello), Benjamin DeKock (double bass), David Alderdice (percussion). The living musical heritage of the Silk Road allows us to feel a link to thousands of years of trade and exchange among the peoples from the shores of the Mediterranean to the shores of the Pacific.
- World Music: Galician Folk with Uxia Senlle in Paonia, CO on Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:30 pm. Uxía Senlle (vocals), Sergio Tannus (guitar/vocals). Iconic vocalist Uxía Senlle is one of the most respected and influential musicians from Galicia, Spain and regarded as the grande dame of Galician music. Her songs have the presence of traditional folk music but with a personal flair. Uxia is joined by Brazilian multi-instrumentalist Sergio Tannus.
We’ve shared this poem before, but have heard the geese in the distance and it’s always a good reminder.
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting –
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.
– Mary Oliver