These are the darkest days of the year. We hope you are staying warm and allowing yourself to turn inward a bit as appropriate. It’s also a very busy time for David with five concerts in four days, including a special duo set with concert pianist Susan Ellinger (see all the events listed below).
Preparations for the January 21st, 2017 Musical Caravan continue. Can you feel it getting closer? This is a musical evening dear to our hearts, we do hope you’ll attend if you are inspired by new sounds and multi-cultural travels. tickets
Thank you to everyone who participated in the November Practice Challenge. We hope that your practice continues to deepen past the scope of the experiment. A documentation of Arlyn’s experience here.
Arlyn and David
- In Winter – North Fork Community Choir and the Exploratory Chorus with guest appearance by David Alderdice – Friday December 9, 2016 7:00pm
- In Winter – North Fork Community Choir and the Exploratory Chorus with guest appearance by David Alderdice – Saturday December 10, 1:00 pm
- David Alderdice with 3 Tinkers and Moors & McCumber in Paonia, CO on Saturday, December 10, 2016 7:00 pm tickets
- David Alderdice & Susan Ellinger – La Dolce Vida in Paonia, CO on Sunday, December 11, 2016 7:30 pm tickets
- NFV Community Band live in Delta, CO with Hotckiss 6 – 12 band and HHS choir on Monday, December 12, 2016 6:00 pm
- Marimba Ensemble Workshop focusing on the 12/8 rhythmic feel with David Alderdice in Hotchkiss, CO on Sunday, December 18, 2016 2:00 pm
- A Musical Caravan with David Alderdice & Friends in Fruita, CO on Friday, January 20, 2017 7:00 pm
- A Musical Caravan with David Alderdice & Friends in Paonia, CO on Saturday, January 21, 2017 7:30 pm tickets
- World Music: Mythic Rhythm with Glen Velez & Loire in Paonia, CO on Saturday, June 3, 2017 7:30 pm tickets
- World Music – Glen Velez Ancient World of Drumming Workshop in Paonia, CO on Sunday, June 4, 2017 1:00 pm
- World Music – Rhythmic Vocal and Singing Workshop with Loire in Paonia, CO on Sunday, June 4, 2017 3:00 pm
- Ongoing: NFV Community Parade Band continues on Monday Nights at the Hotchkiss High School Band Room 6:30-8:00pm. Bring your instrument.
We’ve shared this poem with you before, but it is worth re-reading with fresh eyes.
Sweet Darkness by David Whyte
When your eyes are tired
the world is tired also.
When your vision has gone,
no part of the world can find you.
Time to go into the dark
where the night has eyes
to recognize its own.
There you can be sure
you are not beyond love.
The dark will be your home
The night will give you a horizon
further than you can see.
You must learn one thing.
The world was made to be free in.
Give up all the other worlds
except the one to which you belong.
Sometimes it takes darkness and the sweet
confinement of your aloneness
anything or anyone
that does not bring you alive
is too small for you.